Inside the Acorn: Who is Ellen?
When I started my internship at Graf-Martin Communications, to get to know the team better it was suggested that I complete a mini-series of staff interviews and share them with our online readers. In celebration of Melody’s birthday a few weeks ago, we began the mini-series by introducing you to her. This week I had the opportunity to learn a little bit more about Ellen, the Founder and Managing Director here at Graf-Martin Communications.
If you click here, you can learn about Ellen’s background and how she got into the industry but if you really want to get to know the woman behind this busy agency, be sure to read this Q&A with her.
1. What is one of your favourite things about living in Elmira, ON?
Hearing horses’ hooves clopping down the street. I might never get used to it!
2. What is your all-time favourite book, or the book you would recommend that everyone read?
It’s so hard to pick just one, but I think it would be the One Year Bible, NLT. Either that or, Your God is Too Safe by Mark Buchanan.
3. What is your guilty pleasure (TV show, movie, book or magazine)?
My guilty pleasure is reading People magazine when I fly – it’s always embarrassing when someone asks what I do and then they look at what I’m reading!
4. If you could pick one place to travel, where would it be?
It would be Russia, or Turkey – or both – on the same trip!
5. If you could’ve won the Love Does contest featured in May, what type of Canadian adventure excursion would you have chosen?
I would love to paraglide – I think it would be so exhilarating! I’d also like to do the Edge Walk at the CN Tower – it looks like a lot of fun!
6. What is your favourite ice-cream flavour?
7. What do you like best about your job?
The huge variety of people I get to meet and work with.
8. Do you have a nickname? What is it? How did you get it?
When I was in my early 20’s it was Ellen Fabulous – because I almost always wore high heels, for just about every occasion. Now my back is paying the price for being so fabulous. I still love those shoes though!
9. Tim Hortons or Starbucks?
Starbucks. Grande. Yukon Blend. No room. Black.
10. What part of summer 2012 are you looking forward to the most?
Earlier in the summer I went home to Vancouver Island – I loved being near the ocean and seeing the mountains again.
11. What were your best and worst subjects in school?
I loved and excelled at English – I cried every day of Physics.
12. What has been your most embarrassing moment?
I try to block those things out… It might have been tripping over my suitcase running through O’Hare Airport in Chicago. I landed flat.on.my.face. Someone laughed and then told me to drink less on my next flight.
13. If you could go to dinner with anyone, who would it be?
I’m not sure – but someone really engaging, encouraging, funny, and profound… who really enjoys food.
14. What is the best advice you’ve ever received?
I’ve received an awful lot of great advice – I actually really can’t think of what piece has been the best! I think that it is critical to keep seeking out wisdom and stay teachable – get advice, sift advice, and take advice.
15. Do you have any hidden talents?
If I told you, they wouldn’t be hidden, would they?
16. What is the worst fashion trend you’ve ever followed? Or an outfit you’ve worn that makes you cringe?
A fully lime green outfit from Au Coton. It included matching a scrunchie and slouchy socks. It was fierce and very on trend … at the time.
Ellen has been a great mentor to me throughout my internship term and it was really neat to get to know her better- hopefully after reading this you’ll feel the same way. Stay tuned for more of our staff interview mini-series. -Paola